Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK: A day on, not a day off

That was always our motto when I was working with AmeriCorps, and I think it's a pretty good one. Though many of us do not have classes or work on this snowy New England day, I would ask us to pause and remember the person who we celebrate on this day. What an inspiration his dream is, and how fitting for our country to celebrate MLK's legacy on the day before we officially welcome Barack Obama as our nation's 44th president.

I've traditionally participated in a national day of service on MLK day, but just didn't make any arrangements to do it this year. I want to give a shout out to the NW PA AmeriCorps VISTA Project, though. I know they will be "stuffing the bus" with much needed supplies for NW PA nonprofit agencies many times over the next two weeks in honor of MLK's legacy of service. Thanks for making a difference, VISTAs!

In closing, I'll share one of my favorite quotes from Dr. King: "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." I have reflected upon these words many times for many different reasons, and they always just seem to inspire me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fitting post! I agree that it's important to remember his work and life dream and that we as a nation work to achieve it.

My favorite quote of his is "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Can't wait until tomorrow!