Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm LinkedIn ...

Now what? I recently joined the professional networking site LinkedIn. I'm probably one of the last people on the planet to do so, judging from the shocked replies I used to receive upon revealing that no, in fact, I am not on LinkedIn. So, I did it.

And now my question is what to do with it? I'm pretty versed on the art of Facebook and how to best NOT tarnish my professional reputation, but LinkedIn is a new beast. The point seems to be less about protecting my reputation (which is easy, because there's no option for your friends to tag you in photos involving ridiculous late-night antics), but more about building a really impressive LinkedIn profile and good networks. At least that's what LinkedIn tells me to do. My profile is only 40% complete right now, which is apparently a detriment to my online networking abilities.

For now, I think I'm content to have people find me and "connect", but I'm wondering where we're headed with these sorts of networking sites. Will joining LinkedIn provide some professional benefit to me in the future? Have you ever found a useful professional connection using sites like LinkedIn?

It seems logical that we'll use things like this more and more, even if it's just to learn that your friend has a friend who works at a company that you're interested in. Maybe this will spur a phone call or email to said friend, who will then help you "connect" to desired friend in real life. Very plausible ... Thoughts? Stories?

No comments: