Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Millenials, adapt!

I recently read an article in the New York Times (see link below) about students heading off to business school or currently in business programs who had set their sights on a career in finance and are now watching the demise of the financial industry right before their eyes. Scary, right?

Not for this generation! The students in this article talk about performing better in school, getting better credentials, diversifying their talents. They'll explore opportunities in other sectors, adapt to the what's available, or create their own path.

I happen to be a member of this millenial generation, and though I admittedly have had flashes of panic about getting a business degree at a time like this, I would say my overall outlook on my job prospects for the future is pretty positive. I consider myself a diversified candidate - I am learning about ways to make business a tool for social change. Don't we need this type of thinking now more than ever? It's important work. One of my professors said today that corporate social responsibility is required for business today - it needs to be part of the overall strategy.

That said, I don't feel cornered into a CSR career path or a nonprofit career path because of the type of MBA that I have decided to get. I think the world needs socially responsible leaders who are thinking about the consequences of their actions at every level of an organization, in many types of positions. Didn't this whole financial crisis happen because no one thought about what the consequences might be on the world around them if something didn't work out?

We have to think about how businesses are affecting all of their stakeholders - communities, customers, shareholders, employees, the environment, and many more - it's not only about profit anymore. Profit is a good thing, but other things matter too. Can businesses continue to operate and innovate without making a commitment to social responsibility at this crucial time?

Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/education/12student.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

What do you think?

No comments: