Sunday, October 19, 2008

Getting Involved!

Whew! Made it through the crazy midterm week and am feeling refreshed after another beautiful fall weekend in New England. Onward!

I have always enjoyed getting involved in a lot of groups and community activities beyond work or school - it's a great way to gain perspective and meet many awesome people in the process. So, I have become involved here at Brandeis too! I am doing a grad assistantship, have a tutoring job and am involved in our Net Impact chapter. I want to make the most of my new opportunities during grad school - I know that the time will fly by, so I best fill it with great things!

My grad assistantship works with the community service office and a group of undergraduate students to plan service trips over the spring break week. It's awesome work and something that I did in my role as an AmeriCorps*VISTA for the past two years. I'm totally pumped to be doing it again.

I'm tutoring for a writing class and am also loving it. It's very different material and thinking style from my MBA coursework, so it's a fun way to add a little variety. Writing is something that I enjoy doing (hence this whole blogging thing!), so hopefully I can be helpful to my peers.

And Net Impact ... well, it's basically a large professional organization that is passionate about many of the same things that I am passionate about. From their website (because I can't really say it any better myself): Net Impact is an international nonprofit organization whose mission is to make a positive impact on society by growing and strengthening a community of leaders who use business to improve the world. Net Impact members are current and emerging leaders in CSR, social entrepreneurship, nonprofit management, international development, and environmental sustainability who are actively improving the world.

If you're interested in socially responsible business, you should definitely check it out: http://netimpact.org/

And check us out at Brandeis too: http://brandeisnetimpact.wordpress.com/

We're a fairly new club, but we've got some good plans for the year. I'm excited to learn from some of the leaders in the field of socially responsible business through this organization and to be inspired by new people and ideas.

Grad school life is chock full of good things right now... Until next time!

No comments: