Friday, July 17, 2009

Could I be a consultant?

I had never considered consulting to be high on my list of career options, but I must say that it's moving higher and higher as I work on my consulting project this summer. I am LOVING this project and the consulting experience overall. My team and I have spent the past few weeks really digging in, getting to know the organization.

Now, we're in the heart of our work. We're strategizing, doing lots of big thinking, figuring out how the data fits and where it should lead our recommendations ... it's exhilarating to be able to take a "big picture" look at the organization, figure out where our project fits into the whole and hopefully deliver a high-impact recommendation. It's fun to be challenged and engaged in this way.

I have finally found some time during the last few days to immerse myself in reading, thinking & analysis for this project for large chunks of time, and it has helped my process immensely. My progress during the past week feels like it has increased exponentially, perhaps due to this extra time spent as well as finally having a very clear picture of the workings of the organization. I'm excited to continue working on this project for the next 6 weeks, and I'm most excited to think about delivering a set of recommendations backed by strong data that will solve a problem and create some change!

No comments: